Sunday, April 18, 2010

Charlie's With Me

Char's uncle Juan found this video a little while back and Char's superannuated auntie felt it prudent for his blog. Respecting my elders, as I always do, here it is. This is by Collin Raye who wrote about his granddaughter who recently passed. She was also infirmed much in the same way as Charlie and should I ever be privy to the presence of The Almighty I'm certain it will only be because Char said, "He's with me."


I used to be the guy that gave the awkward stares and wasn't sure how to act around those more pure, but now I don't even really notice when those stares are directed at Charlie. We get them to be sure but Britt seems to be the most in tune with the attention Char gets in public. It's pretty humorous when Britt sees someone eyeballing his little brother and he'll stare right back and very nonchalantly mention, "He's my brother and he has a brain injury."

Here's the lyrics, mostly for B-Low who won't be able to hear the song.

She’s with me
I proudly tell the maitre de as we arrive
He seems surprised
In a clumsy moment as he looks for room, for her blessed chair
A table stares, and their eyes show only pity
as they try to sympathize
Oh, how difficult that must be, look away
Day after day, they’ll never see, the joy you bring
Only happy at the times I know that she’s with me

I wear it like a badge of honor at the mall
I hear her call, the only way that she is able with a cry
Time to go bye bye, she can’t say why
Maybe tired, maybe hurting, god I wish that I could tell
Do I ever make her happy for awhile
To see her smile, makes my week,
Though she can’t speak,
She let’s me know she feels my love when she’s with me

I know just what heaven looks like when I see that perfect face
For no other mortal heart could be so fair
I myself so weak and weary, so imperfect as a man
How could I be the one you chose to care for our girl
Never done a single deed to earn the right to share her light
Though it’s such a painful road we walk each day
Lord you have your ways, this I pray
On the day I stand before you, she’ll stand right by my side
When you look upon me, head hung down in shame
I’ll feel the blame, she’ll look at me,
And then she’ll speak, in that precious voice
Don’t worry ‘bout him my lord, cuz you see,
He’s with me

11 comments:

Trish and John said...

We are all SO very, very blessed to get to love and be loved by those so pure. I am grateful that I get to be Char's auntie (from afar) each and every day. I love this little man with everything that I am and hope that someday soon he'll get to tell us all how we were doing it wrong all along! I love you Char!!!
~Aunt Trishie

Eleyna Julia said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I was SO touched by the beautiful words and music! I hope you don't mind if I share it on Hunter's blog. :) Give Char a squeeze from us.

Unknown said...

That was amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Suz said...

Really?????

su·per·an·nu·at·ed [ spər ánnyoo àytəd ]

adjective

Definition:
1. retired: having been retired with a pension
2. worn out: used so much as to be able to offer no more useful service
3. out-of-date: no longer in fashion

Allison said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful song.

Anonymous said...

That song is great touchstone. Char's auntie is wise. Barbara

Teacher of Special Kids said...

I just came across your blog. I am blown away by the song! It is amazing! Thank you for sharing it.

Unknown said...

This is so perfect for the Charlie Man! I love it so... much! You are great and wonderful parents and do a great job with all that happens each week, to see that Charlie continues to make progress! I feel so lucky to be able to help in the process! You rock little man! Keep up the great work. See you Saturday!!!

Love your family tons,

Tamara Harris and Family

Anonymous said...

Tears are streaming down my face! I love Charlie and his family. You are right, he is pure! I love that Britt can handle this too. He is a pretty terrific big brother!
Thanks for letting so many of us into your home and your lives. I am very blessed to ba a part of all of this!

1384 n said...

I am so grateful for this little man with a huge Spirit and a set of wings that brightens my day every time I see him. I LOVE his smile. This song is amazing.

Michelle said...

I was given your blog address by Connie. I have a niece who has spent a good portion of her life at PCMC. I can't explain it, but I too feel proud to go anywhere with her - holding her suction and oxygen. People will notice how she looks different and the trach. They don't get the chance to know her like I know her and to love her like I love her. She was born with her condition and due to complications had a lung removed over a year ago. She is a year older than my daughter and they are the best of friends and I know she is also proud to be with her.
Happy Birthday Charlie and I pray each one brings more and more joy and happiness.