Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Where has the year gone?

One year ago today our lives change and we started this crazy journey. Honestly, I thought/hoped Coop would have improved more by now but I have to remember his improvements are measured on a completely different scale than mine. I can't begin to express how our lives have changed over the last year both on the outside with our daily routine of therapy, medicine, constant comforting, worrying but mostly on the inside. Our focus has turned from the here and now to a eternal perspective. I'm learning (forced) to slow down and analyze what is really important and enjoy the good things. Although sometimes all I can do is get through the present week, day, minute or even seconds, those seconds mean so much more to me-because we came close to not having them. I am so grateful that I can watch each improvement happen even if I feel like we are on super-slow motion. He is such a blessing in our life and I love him so much. Thank you to everyone for your kind words, prayers, service, donations over the past year. You have been answers to so many prayers. Thank you.

This is a family assignment Charlie had for 2008- Rob thought I should include it...

Things I’ve (Re)Learned This Year –
Charlie Cooper- age 20 months
I re-learned how to see and to recognize what I’m seeing. I am also working on re-learning how to move my eyes together and to the left. It’s sort of difficult.
I’ve learned that you can reach decibels never before known and it doesn’t even have to hurt your own ears.
I re-learned to lift my head to the right.
I learned to work hard because the littlest things can be really difficult.
I re-learned how to swallow and gag so now I get to taste some food.
I learned how to be heard not just seen.
I learned how to get my way and be held as often as possible.
I learned how many people love me.
I learned to inspire people without saying a word.
I learned I am a small and simple thing but I can make great things happen.
I re-learned to relax (my hands at least).
I learned to have great diaper blowouts.
I learned just how much my dad loves me by making him consider things he never would before (give suppositories, consider buying a van)
I have learned that happy hour is at 10pm not 5pm.
I learned to bite hard if something is in your mouth.
I learned that with a crooked smile you can melt anyone’s heart.
I learned to talk to the Angels.

26 comments:

TravandNat said...

What a sweet boy! I'm so happy he's here to continue to re-learn and learn new things everyday! You are all an inspiration to me! Thanks for the reminder to appreciate the little things, and live life one day at a time!

I am so anxious to see the Charlie Steps that will be taken over the next year! You're still in our thoughts and prayers - Always!

Suz said...

Crying. Love him. Love you.

Angie said...

Oh my goodness! What a precious little boy! I have been following your story since it first began, and I am so touched! What a precious little boy! I will hold mine a little tighter!

The Wilson 3 said...

You know what I learned this year,
Priorities.
Charlie Cooper taught me.

julianne orth said...

I remember seeing you guys that day in the PICU, it was our first day too. My heart ached for your family, it still does. charlie has such a special mission here, I feel it every time I read about him. hopefully this year will be better than the last.

Meghan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meghan said...

i ditto suz & jimmy.

whit said...

heartwarming and heartbreaking. keep teaching us charlie.

Trish and John said...

Love you Coop, Love you all... That's all I have now through the tears.

Amy said...

Thank you for your blog about Charlie. He is precious. I hope to meet him someday! We need to get together!

Grandma Cheryl said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings, Angel. They are beautiful as are you and your family. You are a strength to me and others as I watch you love and care for little Charlie. Bless you. May your have the strength, faith and courage you need as you continue to care for Britton and Charlie (and Rob too)! I love you all!!!

Paige said...

I can't believe it has already been a year! He has come so far and I am sure he will keep progressing. We love him!

Anonymous said...

That smile is worth it all.

You go Coop! Keep up the good work.

And Britty, you are the BEST Big Brother EVER! Don't ever forget that sweetie.

Sue Wolfe

The Whitney's said...

Charlie I am amazed at your Steps and how far you have come over the past year. Everytime I'm around you I'm inspired by you and we are truly blessed have you here. I love you, your brother, and your parents so much. Thank you for being so sweet.

linds said...

i love the list of what char learned and relearned. what a sweet boy. thank you charlie for all you have taught me and my family. we love you.

scipiosal said...

Charlie is an amazing,wonderful little boy who has taught thousands of people many things about life and what is really important. We love you Christensen family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys:Charlie is truly a wonderful little guy. I once blogged that God's greatest miracles are ones that we don't see! but I have been blessed because I met you through the blog. sHYLA

Anonymous said...

I am sitting here with tears streaming and my heart full of love. I appreciate reading Angel's thoughts and dreams. You are such a strong example to all of us! Sweet Charlie has taught me so much and I have learned to understand faith and strength from your family. I think of the hard days and nights you have been through, but your faith is so strong. Charlie really has learned to talk with Angels and to bless the lives of so many. My friends in China have asked about him often. It is unbelievable the influence a little boy can have all over the world! I love that sweet smile. He is my little hero!
Connie

Anonymous said...

All I can say is that my heart has been changed because of Charlie. And his story. And his family. And his strength. And your strength. I believe in hope and that many things are possible. Especially when you move forward in faith. I am in love with that little face of Charlie's and I love Rob's list. Charlie has learned so much and he really is progressing. From someone who has followed your story from I guess last March or so, I can really see the improvements he has made. Charlie really is an incredible fighter and an incredible spirit and yes he has touched so many without even saying a word.

With love and respect,

Leane and family in LA

Megan and Alyvia said...

And what a year its been. You will never know how much I admire you and look up to you as a family. Thank you for being the good people you are and touching so us all.
We all love you Charlie!

Matchbox Mom said...

We love that little boy! Thank you for sharing his story with us. It has changed my life and many others. May God bless you and little Coop..

Tami

Anonymous said...

Charlie is an amazing little boy and you guys are an amazing family. We love you all!!
Sam

Jake and Heidi said...

I remember last year you guys did some sort of walk for charlie. Is that something you will be doing again this year? and if you are would you mind giving me more information on it?

BRINLEY & HADLEY'S MOM said...

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this incredible journey. You guys are all amazing people! Charlie is truly an angel among as all! Keep up the good work Charlie! You have a lot of people rooting for you!

Michelle
(Tim Mcgraw concert)

PS I would still love to come and do pictures for you guys! I will email you when the weather gets to where we can go outdoors to take them! YOU GUYS ROCK!!

Anonymous said...

I have not forgotten Coop as well. I miss talking with you guys and seeing Charlie. I know it has been a tough year. I check in on the blog periodically and enjoy reading about the family. This post with the poem grabbed me. He is indeed a sweet boy in a fantastic family.

All the best,

Dr. O.

Anonymous said...

That was wonderful, I loved reading and feeling the joy you must feel about the progress of Charie Steps...Jill B